Search This Blog

10.2.11

Using Usual Things such as Bungee Cord instead of Gates

Using Usual Things: "Bungee Cords instead of baby gates. I found that two substantial eye hooks screwed into the door frames with a bungee cord strung between them effectively kept Tom out of any room off limits. The baby gates actually created a hazard, in that they were too short for his height and he could fall over them. They were also a pain in the neck to open and shut for my access to my own space. The bungee cords allowed me to keep doors open throughout the house while securing his walk space. They also gave Tom a signal of resistance when his body touched on them, he never tried to get over or under them, and he was unable to figure out how to detach them.

I bought bungee cord by the yard at a local hardware store and tied them to clasps also bought in the same store. I could adjust length needed myself that way and it was actually cheaper to make my own then buy ready made"